Dad's PERFECT Waffles
THE PERFECT GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, EGG-FREE, NUT-FREE WAFFLES!
Oh the most famous breakfast of all! … Waffles
It’s funny how somethings seem to move with you through life. Growing up we could always bank on one weekend day where my Dad would make a big breakfast. Homefries, pancakes, waffles, bacon or sausage, eggs – all kinds of yummy stuff! Fast forward over thirty years and here I am, in my own house with my own family and two little girls and my husband loves nothing more than to make a big weekend breakfast.
It use to consist of eggs and veggies, hollandaise sauce and homemade English muffins but as we have learned to adapt to cooking without all those coveted morning recipe items (butter, eggs, milk, etc.) we have learned to perfect new things and keep the tradition – which is what we love – alive and well.
Welcome to Dad’s PERFECT waffles! A recipe he messed with over and over again until he finally found the perfect balance, temperature and amount of all the ingredients that create this mouth-water, begging for more WAFFLES!
Believe me, you have NO idea that these waffles are gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free. And, we have multiple friends and family that could attest to that for us as well.
These have become a true staple for us – whether breakfast, snack, lunch or dinner – these waffles make it into our lives at least weekly! Yup, that is right – weekly.
We go from savory to sweet. Making just enough for breakfast to massive batches to have on hand. Freeze a bunch and throw them in the toaster for your own ‘homemade freezer waffles’ they are so good you don’t even notice they were frozen and reheated.
I did mention savory… Savory waffles are delicious and very versatile. We load them up with in season veggies from the garden, or what we have left over in the fridge. Doesn’t take much. Dice up some kale, onion, zucchini, maybe some tomatoes and mix it right into the batter. Voila! They are good to eat plan or with vegan cream-cheese or use as bread for a sandwich. Honestly, the possibilities are endless – it makes it fun, exciting and delicious!
Now, dive on in to making these PERFECT WAFFLES and let us know what you did to make them fun and creative!
Dad's Perfect Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Egg-Free Waffles
- Waffle Maker Round, square, snowflake - it doesn't matter!
- Sauce pan 6-quart minimum
In Sauce Pan
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats not quick oats
- 2 Cup Coconut milk the kind you drink is fine, as long as it has 'fat'
- ⅓ Cup Apple Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup or 2 if you like it sweet
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Lard
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
Mix in Medium Bowl
- 1 Cup Bouchards Buckwheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Coconut Flour
- ¼ Cup 1:1 All purpose GF flour
- 2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2-2 Cup Water This will vary due to the consistency you like
- 1 Cup Fruit: Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc. Make it fun!
- In a saucepan bring oats and coconut milk to a boil, then immediately remove from heat.
- Add applesauce, lard, vanilla and lemon juice to the saucepan that has been removed from the heat. Mix ingredients in until lard has melted. Then add 1/2 cup cold water. If you are adding frozen fruit to this recipe add it in now to bring the temperature down. If you are not adding fruit, you can place pan in an ice-bath to cool down faster. Make sure the temperature is below 110°.
- While cooling, mix the remaining ingredients into a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. This is the point where you will add in water to adapt the consistency of the batter to your liking (1/4 cup at a time).
- Your waffle (or pancake) batter is ready to hit the griddle! Follow the waffle maker directions for how long to cook them.
- Don't let the heating of the oats scare you from a 'difficulty' perspective - it is very easy, and I promise it makes THE BEST gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free waffles!
- If you choose to make pancakes over waffles and like thicker pancakes keep the batter thicker. Conversely if you prefer thin pancakes keep the batter more thin, by adding more water.
- If you are making waffles for the famous "Waffle Burgers" I recommend using a kitchen/ice cream scoop to keep the measurements the same and scoop it right into the center of the waffle iron - this keeps them rounded and symmetrical.