GF DF Buckwheat Cornbread
Despite the name, there is no wheat or gluten in this gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free stone-ground cornbread.
Gluten-Free, Vegan Buckwheat Cornbread
- 1 ¼ Cup Buckwheat Flour *
- 1¼ Cup Stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 3 Tsp Baking Powder *make sure it is gluten-free
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy Milk *prefer unsweetened organic soy
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- ½ Cup Cream-corn
- Nondairy Butter
- Green Chilies
- Grease an 8 inch cast-iron skillet or 8" X 8" clay baking pan with dairy-free butter or preferred cooking spray.
- Place in oven and pre-heat to 400° F.
- With a wooden spoon, mix the dry ingredients listed above. Make a small hole in the center where you will place your dry ingredients.
- In a separate smaller bowl or 2 cup glass measurer, whisk all wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold with wooden spoon until just combined. **
- WITH OVEN MITTS carefully remove the pan that has been heating up in the oven. Quickly pour the cornbread batter into the hot cast-iron or stoneware pan and place back into the oven at 400° for 20 minutes.
- The top of the cornbread should have a slightly browned top and the middle should be cooked thoroughly when tested with a toothpick or sharp knife.
- *Buckwheat, even with its deceiving name, is wheat free and naturally gluten free. It is high in protein and fiber. It can be eaten as a grain similar to rice or ground into flour that works extremely well in gluten-free baking. It can also be substituted for an all purpose GF flour.
- **This is where you can additional ingredients like 1/4 Cup of diced jalapeños or a small can of drained green chilies
- I also enjoy placing a few large pats of dairy-free butter on top of the cornbread as soon as it comes out of the oven. It seeps into the cornbread providing an extra bit of moister and deliciousness to the bread
- You can substitute the Buckwheat flour for a gluten-free all purpose baking flour like King Arthurs Gluten-Free 1:1.